4x5 Yankee Agitatank issues

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by kristopher_lawrence, Feb 11, 2009.

1. kristopher_lawrence

kristopher_lawrence Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Everyone,

I am using a Yankee Agitatank (daylight) to process my sheet film and I have underdevelopment issues. I think it is because of agitation. With these tanks you have to rock slowly the tank from left to right, I mean slowly because otherwise the chemicals are spilling all over the place.

I also tried stand dev with Rodinal, but it gives another issue: the edges of the sheets, the part where they sit on the rack are sometimes apparent, really underdeveloped...

Argh. The problem is that my dark room is dark enough for wet printing but probably not for film processing.

I am standardized around the Ilford method of agitation for all my films with good results: 10 seconds at beginning and 10 seconds every minutes. Any ideas about how I could agitate more or any other hints about using this kind of tank?

Thanks in advance!

2. trexx

trexx Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Place a developing tray under the Yankee tank and slosh the heck out of it. I use it and have always gotten good results. My agitation is continues for the first minute and 5 or 10 sec every min. depending on how long the dev time is. Longer dev time shorter agitation. One other point is use the times for 35mm or 120 not for sheet. The sheet times are for open trays and generally have more agitation then tank would.

TR

3. Martin Aislabie

Martin Aislabie Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Kristopher, I have the same issue - my darkroom isn't dark enough to develop and process film

However, I found I could get away with processing at night without problems.

It is more difficult in the summer as there are more hours of daylight - when I rest in the evening and then work through until dawn.

I don't know whether this would work for you but my neighbourhood is not very well lit at night and it’s good for the darkroom :smile:

Good luck

Martin

4. John Shriver

John Shriver Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I've tried the "fr" version of that Bakelite tank, and was very disappointed. $125 to $160 on eBay will get you the Nikor adjustable sheet film tank, which works much better.

5. jordanstarr

jordanstarr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've had no issues with my agitank. I use a few different developers, so I don't think it's that. You might want to question your technique.

6. JRJacobs

JRJacobs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Trexx is right here.

I use the Agitank as well - you need to ignore the directions about "gentle back and forth". I agitate by moving the tank in a vertical circle in the same direction as the arrows on the tank show. This makes the chemicals move up and down in the tank and gives me very even development - better than I get with the Nikkor tank. I do it over my darkroom sink as a small amount of chemical will slosh out.

7. carmina

carmina Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ok, I have the same Yankee agitank.

The problem I have, is even with the most gentle side to side agitation every time I use it, the negatives always come loose and get stuck to each other. I know I have the top stuck down far enough. It is very frusterating, I have big spots where the developer appears to have never touched the film.

Help?

8. trexx

trexx Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    There is a sliding section that allows using different size cut films, with detentes for the various sized. The detentes are not all that positive and can come out quite easily. When set correctly some movement of the film is possible but not to the point of falling out and touching an other sheet. Added to this is when transferring the film holder to the tank it is easy to move the sliding section.

After I have loaded the film I right the holder so the center shaft is pointing up. I gently tap the sliding section. I then place a finger in the center shaft and lift by curling my finger slightly and pinch the very top of the shaft with my thumb. Insuring I do not get the sliding section. I lift and place into the tank and cover with the lid. The side that is open to the film is away from the side where the pouring spout is. When filling I keet pressure on the top lid as the rush of liquid can loosen the lid.

9. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It doesn't work, period. Ditch it.

This has been discussed again and again. Don't ruin any more negatives -- John Shriver's advice is good. A Jobo or similar device is also wise.

Cripes, you can even tray develop or use a slosher rack if you light-proof a room...anything but that thing.

10. JRJacobs

JRJacobs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I suppose what works for some doesn't work for others. I have read folks having problems with the Agitank, but I get consistently good even development with it by using the method I described above. I have tried a Uniroller as well and while I got even development, I got way increased contrast from the constant agitation - not the best solution in my opinion, but others seem to not mind this as it is widely recommended. Try and figure what works for you.