35mm & 120 film for New Zealand ...

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Matus Kalisky, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Matus Kalisky

Matus Kalisky Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK, I thought I have figured this out already, but I still have doubts. So I ask here another question that have been asked so many times that some may find it offending, sorry for that ...

Subject - mostly landscapes and seascapes in New Zealand in early April. Shooting time is through out the whole day.

35mm:
    Camera: Olympus XA (I have it for a week). I have just run a test roll of Velvia 100 through and it came out fine. Here and there a bit of exposure adjustment would have helped, but it was minor.

Film:
    C41: Ektar 100 and Fuji 400H
    E6: Provia 100 & Provia 400X

Question: As the camera is supposed to be used also for P&S type of exposures, I first though of taking only C41 films, but I have hard time to do so. It is a wider exposure latitude versus shiny colors on the light table where it is easier to judge and better (color wise) scans. I keep telling myself that these are for mostly 10x15cm prints, but some will definitely go to 20x30 cm (or even more ) ... ?

6x6:
    Camera: Rolleiflex T, with Digisix incident (and 30deg reflected) lightmeter. Have shot more than 50 rolls of different films - I am confident with the camera.

Film:
    C41: Fuji Pro160C, Fuji 400H (or even 800Z)
    E6: Provia 100 and Provia 400X

Question: To be used for the "better" shots on longer trips when I do not carry the 4x5 along (or do not have time to take it out). It it again exposure latitude versus the light table and scanning story ...

-----
    - I hesitate to "mix" the C41 and E6 film as then one never has the "correct" film inside ...
    - I have my films scanned either with Coolscan 5000/9000 or Imacon X5.

2. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you want prints, shoot negative film. You can print traditionally, and you can print digitally. While you can print slides traditionally, there is a gain in contrast.

If you want to project, shoot slides. Projection makes for a magnificent image at a cost in convenience, of course.

Slide film is easier to judge, but if you can shoot slide film accurately and well, you can definitely do so with negative materials. The latitude is there if you need it, but you are always best to avoid needing it if you can.