30 Under 30: A juried exhibition at Vermont Center for Photography

Discussion in 'Call for Entries' started by bdial, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    See www.vcphoto.org for details and submission page.

The Vermont Center for Photography is proud to introduce our newest upcoming juried exhibition: “30 Under 30“. This exciting exhibit will showcase the work of 30 emerging photographers from across the country, under 30 years of age. This exhibit seeks to highlight some of the lesser known or emerging young photographers working today. Whether you are a college grad with a BFA, or a high-school student with relatively limited experience, this exhibit is your chance to see your own work on gallery walls next to some of the region’s greatest young talent.

Each of the 30 artists accepted into the exhibition will receive a complimentary 1-year exhibiting membership from VCP.

VCP will also publish a limited edition (80 copies), 7×7”, softcover, full color exhibition catalog featuring each work selected for the exhibit plus additional information on each artist. Please stay tuned for details on purchasing or reserving your copy. One “Juror’s Choice Award” recipient as well as one “Director’s Choice Award” recipient will each receive a free copy of the exhibition catalog.

Important Dates:
    Deadline for submission……………………Sunday, February 1st – 5:00pm (EST)
    Notification of Acceptance…………………Saturday, February 7th
    Accepted work due at VCP…………………Saturday, February 28th – 5:00pm (EST)
    Opening Reception………………………….Friday, March 6th – 5:30 to 8:30pm
    Exhibition Dates……………………………..March 6th through March 29th

Eligibility:
    This juried exhibit is open to any photographer UNDER the age of 30 years old (30 year old’s not included, sorry! Must be under 30 years old on March 6th, 2015). Participants may be from any U.S. State or Country world-wide.

2. snapguy

snapguy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    sounds like

Sounds like obvious age discrimination to me. Why can't emerging photographers be older than that? I know a guy who went back to school in his 50s, learned photography and these days he is in Tibet photographing wild Yaks and getting fabulous images. I think age discrimination is pathetic.

3. digital&film

digital&film Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree.. whats next...

4. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    The 30 under 30 is a common theme, so it's not really all that strange or that horrible, that said usually that is something that is reserved for a "top picks" kind of thing in a list and not an immediate requirement of submission.

Although "digital only" or "film only" would also be discriminatory, the limitation of age is actually "agist" which might be considered legal discrimination just like saying "men only" or "whites only" which is really not ok, especially in this age and society.

Then again, it's your call, your competition. But limiting it to those who maybe haven't been published yet but are emerging as a way to help them to become published would be a lot more reasonable then limiting it by age. It's the same thing that's wrong with the education system. It's as if what's most important about us is what our "made on" date is, and not about the quality or value of us as people nor our individual ability to accomplish things in our own time.

5. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think it's a great idea. It's not about new photographers, it's about young photographers.

6. snapguy

snapguy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    next

And what is next, a contest for only white photographers? Or, no women allowed? Or one for white males from wealthy home only?. All, including age discrimination, are against the law. I think I will file a formal complaint against that so-called school.

7. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And what makes young photographers so special other than their age, young photographers can participate in nearly every photo competition there is but older ones not if they young are good and deserve the promotion because they are good then their work should be able to stand against work from older photographers.. I really really hate the anti elder attitude that seems to be rampant in western society these days.

It's VCP choice but I still think it's a sad one and more of a sign of the time so I don't blame them for that decision they need sponsors, etc... who believe the only way to market themselves is by being young and hip.

Anyways thanks for the info.

8. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh my, sometimes it seems to me folks are trying to find things to get upset about -- we must not have enough "real problems" in this world! :whistling:

It seems to me many of the groups working in and preserving traditional arts and crafts have demographics skewed seriously toward grey hair. I see an under 30 event as encouraging newcomers into a field who might outlast we olde fartes and carry on the traditions. (But that's me ...)

9. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There've been photography exhibits that feature just women, just minorities, and just old people. And there's no shortage of juried contests that those advanced in years can enter. If an "old white guy" contest ever came along, I'm sure I'd skip it.

10. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    It's true what DW said, especially recently the women only, of African descent only.

it seems though in our society that those who are perceived as to be "minorities" a perfectly acceptable having their own exclusionary event, but anyone considered to be in the "majority" I looked upon shamefully for having an exclusionary type event, it's a little bit hypocritical. Such is life, someday we will all hopefully get along, if you don't mind... "Imagine....."

11. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For the nay-sayers, do you submit work to competitions and, if so, how often?

12. OP
    OP
    bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow.

BVY said it, the point of this particular show is to encourage younger photographers, and it really is that simple. There is no "anti elder attitude" behind this.
    There are young photographers who do amazing work and there are old photographers who do amazing work and many who are in between. But, the younger ones may not have had the same opportunities to have their work shown. Additionally, we haven't had a show where we could showcase the viewpoint of younger photographers, and by showing it in a collection, perhaps contrast that with older generations.

There were a lot of people who could be described as "old farts" who participated in the decision to do this show. Myself included. I thought it was a great idea. And yes, there was some concern that it could "put off" older practitioners of our art. There are, however, lots of opportunities for photographers of all ages to have their work on VCP's walls. We didn't think that limiting this particular show to younger workers would be a slight to photographers who are older than 30.

Let's face it, older photographers are not the future of photography as art. Does anyone here want photography to become merely instagram selfies taken with phones?

We do need sponsors, but that's not the point behind this show, and no, we're not trying to market ourselves by appearing young and hip.
    VCP's goal is to show photography as art in all its forms, and break new ground where we can.

Later this year there will be a juried show of photographic books. We don't know what will get submitted, but we are hoping that there will be a lot of amazing hand-made wonders. I don't know if such a show has been attempted anywhere else.
    There is some expectation that it will tend to favor older photographers who may have more resources and larger body of work to put into a book.

VCP is a registered non-profit gallery and gathering place for photographers. It exists mostly on donations and membership dues. We work hard to be an asset to the community where we are located and to photographers and photography in general.

Exhibiting membership at VCP is open to anyone of any age, from anywhere, who submits a portfolio of work and is juried in.
    A portfolio of cat pictures or cell phone selfies may not get you in, but if the work shows competence in technique and composition, you're good. VCP is not about exclusion.

Non-exhibiting membership is open to anyone who is interested in helping to support the gallery and what we do.

There are generally 3 shows for exhibiting members each year, and your exhibiting membership status is the only criteria for work going on the wall.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.