Threads
Members
Latest member
brianatkinsphoto
Recent bookmarks

striddles

Shooter
8x10 Format
I am the new owner of a century Studio 2A stand (and 8A camera). There are a few things that need fixing and I could use some advice on how to proceed. Thanks in advance!

Pic 2. Missing rear castor wheel
Pic 3. Existing castor wheel, all the rubber has worn down to the metal, can I get replicas or just buy three new wheels?
Pic 4. The spring under the bed is broken. Is this something that can be replaced? A friend suggested I have the existing spring bent into the same shape as the section that broke off. If I can have this done, how is the spring loaded so it works the way it is supposed to?
Pic 5. The platform/bed is crooked on the rails. One side is higher than the other. What procedure do I need to do to get the bed level?
Pic 6. Is there a safe way to remove the bellows from the standard? I’m guessing it is glued into place, but I don’t want to damage the standard in trying to pry the bellows off.

Attachments

• IMG_1689.jpg
    IMG_1689.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1693.jpg
    IMG_1693.jpg
    441.8 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1690.jpg
    IMG_1690.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1703.jpg
    IMG_1703.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1696.jpg
    IMG_1696.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 91

John Koehrer

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Casters, check online for antique or replica casters. Some Woodworking supply houses too. If you can live with modern, Harbor Freight, Grainger or Mcmasters Carr might be able to set you up.

The spring can be reformed but will add a bit of additional tension.

The bed gear has skipped a tooth. Loosen the shaft, lift it away from the track & lift.

The bellows is likely glued on with a water based glue. I'd dampen(not soak) it & use a butter knife or spatula to free it.
Pry gently & in small increments around the edges.

Jon Shiu

Subscriber
Shooter
Plastic Cameras
Hi, the bellows are held on with screws from the inside. If you take the back off you can feel them with your fingers and unscrew them.

Probably the stand is able to be used without the spring, just harder to crank up.

The platform is probably crooked due to one side having skipped a tooth. You can check by cranking it up to the top and seeing if there is equal amounts of track showing.

Just replace all 3 casters.

Jon

OP
OP

striddles

Shooter
8x10 Format
Thanks your your replies so far. I've found a place that can make me a new spring, but does anyone know how to tension the spring when I put it back on? Does the platform need to be at its highest point or lowest point on the stand to attach the new spring?

shutterfinger

Subscriber
Shooter
4x5 Format
I think it should be at its highest point and the spring may need to be tensioned some also. The spring should retard the downward movement and supply upward pull so that the stand moves smoothly and easily under the weight of the camera.

I would reform the broken end with 2 pair of needle nose pliers and use it. A few turns off the spring will not affect it significantly.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford Photo ADOX Freestyle Photographic Photo Warehouse Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom