220 film in Yashica Mat-124g, changed pressure plate to 24 exposures but it still reads 12 exposures

Monticello Avenue-3

A
Monticello Avenue-3

surprise!

A
surprise!

• Tel
  • Feb 7, 2023
Anatomy

A
Anatomy

Morning

D
Morning

BD2023-1.jpg

D
BD2023-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stngoldberg
Recent bookmarks
Shooter
Multi Format
So I haven't shot too much 220 film, but I've got a small stash of expired rolls. So today, I tried loading a 220 roll into my Yashica Mat 124g, but despite changing the pressure plate, it still said 12 exposures. I've just taken the roll out in a changing bag, but I'm wondering if my camera will still work properly.

Also note, I've already sent this out for repairs twice in the last year, and this is the first 220 roll I've tried. I'm also running this by you all before I try the repair technician.

DWThomas

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Well, I've never had the opportunity to shoot any 220 in mine, but I just took a quick look. There are two spring loaded pins along the back opening, a short one that apparently senses a tab for 12 vs 24 exposure, and a longer one that presumably resets the frame counter when the back is opened.

Interesting to me, when I opened the back on mine, the 12/24 flag immediately went to '24exp' (regardless of the pressure plate setting). Manually pressing the short pin would then switch the flag to '12exp'. So one of the tabs along the side of the pressure plate apparently engages that pin -- or not. It appears 24exp is actually a sort of default.

Via Ye Trusty iPhone:
_iP6171_124G_12-24_Sensing.jpg

So it should be easy to see if that pin is doing anything. I had a full CLA and a light meter repair done by Mark Hama at the beginning of the year, and my 124G seems happy.

OP
OP
TheGreatGasMaskMan
Shooter
Multi Format
[QUOTE="DWThomas, post: 2113577, member: 13374"
Interesting to me, when I opened the back on mine, the 12/24 flag immediately went to '24exp' (regardless of the pressure plate setting). Manually pressing the short pin would then switch the flag to '12exp'. So one of the tabs along the side of the pressure plate apparently engages that pin -- or not. It appears 24exp is actually a sort of default.

So it should be easy to see if that pin is doing anything. I had a full CLA and a light meter repair done by Mark Hama at the beginning of the year, and my 124G seems happy.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I checked that pin last night, it's definitely stuck, and I've also noticed the 24/12 counter would change when I opened it in the past, but it's not doing that any more.

It's also interesting because because (long story short) I've also had Mark Hama work on my Yashica twice.

DWThomas

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
It's also interesting because because (long story short) I've also had Mark Hama work on my Yashica twice.
Oh my! When I got it off ePrey mine was in good cosmetic shape, so maybe not used a lot. After a few years, the shutter release button being a little slow to pop out in cold weather prompted me to send it off. That he got the meter working was sort of an accidental bonus. I figured after a CLA it should outlast me (in my late 70s -- not too challenging!) I wish you luck, but don't have any further insight. (Time to go for a Rolleiflex? :whistling: )

OP
OP
TheGreatGasMaskMan
Shooter
Multi Format
Oh my! When I got it off ePrey mine was in good cosmetic shape, so maybe not used a lot. After a few years, the shutter release button being a little slow to pop out in cold weather prompted me to send it off. That he got the meter working was sort of an accidental bonus. I figured after a CLA it should outlast me (in my late 70s -- not too challenging!) I wish you luck, but don't have any further insight. (Time to go for a Rolleiflex? :whistling: )
I'll probably just send it back to Mark again. another super quality medium format film camera for myself probably won't happen for some time.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom