1952/53 Leica IIIf Red Dial up for auction and the price is low!

Pier Study No. 1

A
Pier Study No. 1

Untitled

A
Untitled

Cypress Knees, Sloughs WMA

A
Cypress Knees, Sloughs WMA

Monticello Avenue-3

A
Monticello Avenue-3

surprise!

A
surprise!

• Tel
  • Feb 7, 2023

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coralluxurycleaning
Recent bookmarks

indy_kid

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
I found it at PropertyRoom.com, a site that sells used police and municipal gear. They sometimes have stolen items that couldn't be returned to their original owners, and they also have "partners" who can sell using the site.

Regardless of its origin, there's a 1952-53 Leica IIIf Red Dial, S/N: 635582, up for auction. At the moment (1135 EST, 11/7), the bid is $400, which, from reading forum and blog posts, appears to be quite a low price!

You can see the camera here: http://www.propertyroom.com/l/leica-ernst-leitz-wetzlar-slr-camera/9305776

So, if you're interested, you have about 9 hours left in the auction!

Good luck!

E. von Hoegh

Shooter
Multi Format
$400. What shape is it in? Add the cost of an overhaul and it's not that much of a deal. Besides, I would never buy a stolen item, period.

OP
OP
indy_kid

indy_kid

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
$400. What shape is it in? Add the cost of an overhaul and it's not that much of a deal. Besides, I would never buy a stolen item, period.

As to the condition, I added the link so you can see for yourself; an overhaul may not be required. The folks at the web site either lack the knowledge to give a reasonable assessment or won't risk giving one for fear of it being wrong. They take a minimalist approach.

As for the camera itself, it's no longer considered stolen! Obviously, no web site would knowingly sell stolen gear, especially one started by a group of police departments! Items like these, if the owner can't be found, are considered free and clear of any future claim. It's also possible that the owner was located and had already been paid by his/her insurance company. The insurance company probably doesn't want to deal with selling such items, and simply writes them off as a loss.

E. von Hoegh

Shooter
Multi Format
As to the condition, I added the link so you can see for yourself; an overhaul may not be required. The folks at the web site either lack the knowledge to give a reasonable assessment or won't risk giving one for fear of it being wrong. They take a minimalist approach.

As for the camera itself, it's no longer considered stolen! Obviously, no web site would knowingly sell stolen gear, especially one started by a group of police departments! Items like these, if the owner can't be found, are considered free and clear of any future claim. It's also possible that the owner was located and had already been paid by his/her insurance company. The insurance company probably doesn't want to deal with selling such items, and simply writes them off as a loss.

I recently bought a camera, about the same age as that one. It looks like new, at a distance of a foot. It also needs a complete overhaul including new curtains.
Lots of things are possible as far as the origins of that camera. Considering the source, I wouldn't touch it with tongs; too much chance of profiting from anothers' misfortune. YMMV.:wink: "no longer considered stolen"(!):laugh::laugh:

David Lyga

Council
Shooter
35mm
"no web site would knowingly sell stolen gear, especially one started by a group of police departments!"

Who you kidden, indikid?!?!?! - David Lyga

OP
OP
indy_kid

indy_kid

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Citations, please.

"no web site would knowingly sell stolen gear, especially one started by a group of police departments!"

Who you kidden, indikid?!?!?! - David Lyga

Okay, I may have been overly broad with that claim, but please provide information about police-backed websites knowingly selling stolen property.

OP
OP
indy_kid

indy_kid

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Whatever...

Considering the source, I wouldn't touch it with tongs; too much chance of profiting from anothers' misfortune.

You mean the source being a website supported by several police and fire departments? Yeah, you can NEVER trust those people!!! :tongue:oliceman:

E. von Hoegh

Shooter
Multi Format
You mean the source being a website supported by several police and fire departments? Yeah, you can NEVER trust those people!!! :tongue:oliceman:

That's not what I'm typing about at all. Stolen, insurance paid off; stolen, unable to find owner; whatever - it has bad juju. If it could be shown it came to the sellers differently, that's a horse of a different color.

OP
OP
indy_kid

indy_kid

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Study, Grasshopper....

That's not what I'm typing about at all. Stolen, insurance paid off; stolen, unable to find owner; whatever - it has bad juju. If it could be shown it came to the sellers differently, that's a horse of a different color.

Go to the site and read where they get their stuff.

In case you don't understand how modern capitalism works, someone usually ends up on the bad end of the deal. Is that bad juju? I've sold several items here because I'm broke, disabled and have to pay doctor's bills. Are people paying what I ask, based on those circumstances? No, they try to lowball me. I'm sure you would as well. What color horse is that???

And that's it for me. I started this thread to let people know about a fairly rare Red Dial Leica, and all I'm getting for my efforts is grief. Don't like the look or feel of the site? Fine, don't bid.

Don't expect me to alert anyone to other such deals in the future. I don't need the hassles.

Have a nice day.

E. von Hoegh

Shooter
Multi Format
Go to the site and read where they get their stuff.

In case you don't understand how modern capitalism works, someone usually ends up on the bad end of the deal. Is that bad juju? I've sold several items here because I'm broke, disabled and have to pay doctor's bills. Are people paying what I ask, based on those circumstances? No, they try to lowball me. I'm sure you would as well. What color horse is that???

And that's it for me. I started this thread to let people know about a fairly rare Red Dial Leica, and all I'm getting for my efforts is grief. Don't like the look or feel of the site? Fine, don't bid.

Don't expect me to alert anyone to other such deals in the future. I don't need the hassles.

Have a nice day.

"I'm sure you would as well"

Then you're sadly mistaken. If I couldn't pay a fair price, I'd try to connect you with someone who would. You shouldn't make so many presumptions about folks you don't know. I'm quite well acquainted with how modern capitalism works, and wish I wasn't.
Have a nice day yourself.

heterolysis

Shooter
Multi Format
I don't see what difference it makes if it was maybe once stolen and never claimed for whatever reason. Should it just be destroyed forever?

I suppose it was wrong of me to adopt a dog that was listed as a "stray" too. God forbid I gave him a good home when no one ever came to claim him for whatever reason.

JLP

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I don't see what difference it makes if it was maybe once stolen and never claimed for whatever reason. Should it just be destroyed forever?

I suppose it was wrong of me to adopt a dog that was listed as a "stray" too. God forbid I gave him a good home when no one ever came to claim him for whatever reason.

+1

400$ is not really that good a deal unless the camera is in mint condition and don't need a service. Rare it is not, there are lots of those listed for sale every day.
With a little bit of patience you can find a red dial for less than that on the big auction site.

Shooter
Multi Format
Could be an ok deal assuming all works well and the Summitar lacks any separation. I got a user IIIf RD fully CLA'd from Youxin Ye not too long ago for $300. It's a real gem.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom