11x14" Portra

Discussion in 'Ultra Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by unityofsaints, Aug 30, 2016.

1. unityofsaints

unityofsaints Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was very surprised to see B&H list 11x14" Portra. Yes it's special order at min. order value of north of 12,000$ but why do they bother at all? I would have thought that 5x7" C-41 would be much more popular (relatively speaking), but that doesn't even get a special order listing. Who's shooting this stuff? Even Flickr draws a blank.

2. MAubrey

MAubrey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I could find 30 other people interested, I'd definitely go into a pool to order a box. Just for the experience of it.

3. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    There are a handful of big-name, big bank account, bigggg print photographers using it. Why, I can't understand, since the Photoshop post-editing
    or their work has at times been so intensive that it implies they really didn't know what they are doing to begin with. And the bigger your film is,
    the more need you have for some kind of precision filmholder, either vacuum or adhesive. Film sags in a conventional holder. In the past there were
    a few people contact printing chromes film this size too. Kodak could hypothetically cut sheet film all kinds of sizes if there is the threshold demand.
    There are batch orders of 5x7 occurring too, but infrequently. Even 8x10 now gets only intermittently cut, with certain dealers coasting on their own
    inventory until the next batch. In the meantime, it's smart to have a freezer if you want consistent supply.

4. NortheastPhotographic

NortheastPhotographic Advertiser

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Man I would LOVE to see some work made with 11x14 Portra. Please provide any links if you have some. I always hear about ULF cameras and people who shoot with them but I almost never see the work!

5. OP
    OP
    unityofsaints

unityofsaints Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's one user on Flickr who has at least 2 example scans up: https://m.flickr.com/photos/castorscan/

There's also a guy in the Ukraine who shot a few sheets of Velvia 50 once, can't find it at the moment (I'm on mobile).