More Trouble Than It's Worth  The picture Idea, Not the car
jimgalli

More Trouble Than It's Worth The picture Idea, Not the car

I'm cutting Aviphot 200 Aerial Recon 240mm wide film down to 5X7 loads, but there is quite a large percentage of waste doing that. You get a 2 1/2 X 5" leftover for each 5X7 cut. So I had this idea of putting 3 waste pieces in a film holder together overlapping slightly for a single 5X7 pic
Equipment Used
5X7 Speed Graphic / 6 1/2X4 3/4" TTH MAR 5.25" lens
Exposure
1/110 speed graphic curtain
Film & Developer
Avi200 / PyrocatHD
Paper & Developer
film scan
I grant PHOTRIO permission to share this gallery image and previous images on their social media pages.
  1. Yes
Very fussy to do and if you did want a triptych for the enlarger you'd be better served cutting your 5X7 neg in 3 pieces.

At first glance I thought it was a reflection in a three section plate glass window. Probably not worth the effort as a routine thing, but I do like the result.

I too thought this was a shot through a multi-section window. It worked fine.
Anyway, can you roll waste pieces onto a spool interleaved with leftover 120 backing-paper, and shoot some medium format with them?

I too thought this was a shot through a multi-section window. It worked fine.
Anyway, can you roll waste pieces onto a spool interleaved with leftover 120 backing-paper, and shoot some medium format with them?
One of those 'what could possibly go wrong" questions. Actually the smart thing might be to put them in a box every time I get about 30 of them and sell them to people to make 2 1/2 X 5 pano's in their 4X5's. A 4X5 holder catches 3 of 4 sides and a little piece of double sided scotch tape in the middle can do the rest.

Some pedant is going to say the film won’t sit flat enough with tape in the back. Maybe tape the corners? Anyway your triple pane shot looks good. I can see how it would work with the right composition. It would look cleaner if the lines are more even but then I might be the pedant!

Definitely scene oriented. If it was something you were going to develop and make your own signature style you want logical panoramic situations that flow easily from one pane into the next one, not a car sitting in the driveway. One benefit of this aerial recon roll film is that it naturally curves into the emulsion, so there is some sense in which it holds itself flat from it's own curvature. But it was traveling laterally in the holder without the tape bits to sort of lock it where it's put. The biggest problem is developing the stuff. It doesn't fit well in any of the available developing holders. I stacked them in a jobo expert tank and it worked ok. Too fussy for me.

Media information

Category
Standard Gallery
Added by
jimgalli
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename
TTH_MAR_01s.jpg
File size
223.7 KB
Date taken
Wed, 21 September 2022 9:49 AM
Dimensions
1191px x 852px

Share this media

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom