Nodda Duma

Dry Plate - Momma's Boy

Some natural light portraiture with ASA 25 handmade emulsion on 4x5 dry plate. Still took an 8 second exposure. I'm a noobie at portraiture, so comments/critiques welcome

*Click The Image Below To Enter Portfolio View*  
Dry Plate - Momma's Boy
Nodda Duma, Jan 11, 2019
Equipment Used:
Schneider Symmar 240 f/5.6 @ f/8
Exposure:
8 seconds
Film & Developer:
J Lane Dry Plate, ASA 25 variant
Paper & Developer:
HC-110 dil B
    • scheimfluger_77
      Just need a little fill light on the other side. A big piece of poster board as a reflector would work. Place it just outside the frame.
    • Nodda Duma
      @scheimfluger_77 Thanks I thought that might be the most glaringly obvious thing missing but wanted to get opinions from learned experts. TBH I was so caught off-guard by my wife agreeing to a photo that I wanted to get it done before she changed her mind. :smile:
    • jtk
      It's already a digital photo, thanks to its existence on Photrio. A little processing would help.
    • Peter Black
      It was the lighting that attracted me to this lovely family shot. You've done the hard bit in getting an in-focus shot of 2 people on an LF camera, so I guess a little lift of the shadows in software might yield a more wall-friendly result for the family?
    • awty
      Great freckles. How does the plates go with a blue filter?
    • Nodda Duma
      @awty This is an ortho plate but the UV/blue still dominates heavily so using a blue filter wouldn’t change too much.
    • jtk
      Appears to have a lot more visual information than the scan (or whatever) reveals.
    • Nodda Duma
      @jtk yes there’s a lot of latitude (dynamic range?) to this emulsion.
    • jtk
      I'd like to see that with this image.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Critique Gallery
    Uploaded By:
    Nodda Duma
    Date:
    Jan 11, 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    643.2 KB
    Width:
    2400px
    Height:
    3000px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.