Yashica Minister III RF alignment

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by Cholentpot, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I got my grubby hands on a Minister III. Everything fires and clicks but the RF is off.

I did my regular googleing but I've hit a brick wall with this one. There is a screw under a screw-cap on the back but it doesn't turn and I don't wan't to force it. I did remove the cover plate from the accessory shoe but I'm not sure where to locate the adjustment screw. Short of removing the top plate, which I tired and got stuck on the film advance lever, how would I calibrate this nice old machine?

Thanks.

Oh, it came with a bonus 20 shot roll of Plus-X from whoknowswhen inside. I'm going to develop it at some point.

2. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  3. OP
    OP
    Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  4. BrianVS

BrianVS Member

Shooter:
    Digital
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yashica-Min...732247?hash=item33d23fdad7:g:leoAAOSwTuJYpM5h

Looking at this "rather sad" example on Ebay, it looks like the cover plate of the Cold Shoe comes off to reveal an access port. This usually was over the RF adjustment screw that you are trying to get at.

Otherwise- use needle nosed pliers or firm tweezers as a spanner to get off the advance lever, take off the rewind knob, top the top.

good Luck, please post back with lessons learned.

5. OP
    OP
    Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    As of now lessons learned are, the camera's been shelved as I've not been able to remove the rewind knob and my attempts at re-calibration made the problem worse.

I got the flash shoe cover off but it's near impossible to see whats going on in there so I need to get the whole top plate off.

6. BrianVS

BrianVS Member

Shooter:
    Digital
    Most cameras- the rewind knob simply unscrews, use something to hold the shaft still. I've seen some with screws in the center of the shaft that need to be undone; set screws in the rewind knob that hold it in place; and some with screws under the lever of the knob that have to be undone.

7. OP
    OP
    Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    From what I've read the Ministers rewind knob is notoriously hard to get off. I've seen suggestions to use a pen torch to heat up the head and then unscrew. I don't have a pen torch.