WTB 6X9 Enlarger near Waterloo, Iowa

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by Brian Schmidt, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Brian Schmidt

Brian Schmidt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello.

I would like to be able to make enlargements with 6X9 and 6.5X9. It seems that the Midwest isn't the best place to search for photo equipment. You might find a dusty rusty spider-webby 135 enlarger in somebody's loft but bigger ones don't seem to sit around for too long. I'm not after anything too fancy. Know it will go to a good home! It's better to have it be used than clutter your basement, for the both of us!

I would be willing to drive about 25 miles from Waterloo to get it (Waverly, LaPorte City, Independence, etc.).

Also after a 6.5X9 sheet film tank and possibly a 120 single-roll tank with a good seal, if I am going to see you anyway.

Thanks,
    Brian

2. darkroommike

darkroommike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Brian, don't know how much of ahurry you are in but the Omaha Camera Show will be May 7. I have picked up cheap enlargers there may times and I think there a Spring show in Des Moines as well. Last year my boss picked up a brand new Beseler 23CIII VC with a pile of new in the box carriers for $100, so hang in there.

3. absalom1951

absalom1951 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A guy in Jefferson, Iowa might have something. I haven't spoke with him for several years but he had many Beseler 23cII 's enlargers. He bought out a schools darkroom I believe is what he told me. If you don't mind driving to Jefferson, it might be worth a call. I wasn't to interested for I have 2 omega 4x5 enlargers. I had a Beseler 23cII-XL but I couldn't give it away so I made a copy stand out of it-it works pretty good-due to the modifications I made to it, its enlargering days are over or else I would've gave it to you. I'll pm you the guys number.

4. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have a couple of 23c enlargers and possible a B8 here in Minneapolis.

Which, last I looked, was in the Midwest. So, to be frank, the issue might be trying to source within 25 miles of Waterloo versus a larger city like Minneapolis, or even Des Moines and possibly Cedar Rapids.

5. OP
    OP
    Brian Schmidt

Brian Schmidt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello everybody.

I wouldn't mind going further but the old truck I drive isn't in the best of shape. It's 40 years old and so badly rusted that birds built a nest in one of the holes a couple summers ago, which has since fallen out because a good chunk of that panel is missing. Put the tail gate down and the sides of the box need to be finagled just to get it to close again. I usually ride my bicycle places just so I can put off getting a different vehicle for longer. Aside from that it's an even older motorcycle or a bicycle which wouldn't be any good for hauling an enlarger. Yes, if it breaks down anywhere it's bad but 25 miles away is far better than 250.

I am looking around for camera clubs in Iowa. I found a couple but they are also quite far off. There are a few old pro's around here I could talk to, but if they are anything like machinists I deal with they think their things are worth their weight in Gold... Maybe they would know somebody who can help me.

I will keep the contacts in mind and look further into the swap meet, I have gone a couple years already with just a 6X6 enlarger.

Thanks for the replies.

Brian

6. 480sparky

480sparky Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, the Omaha camera show would be a prime choice. You can also try Christian Photo in DSM. They sometimes have used enlargers on hand. It's worth a call. 515 270 6174.

7. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Often older photographers are thrilled to see their darkroom equipment be used, especially by someone much younger. Give those old pro's a shot.

8. OP
    OP
    Brian Schmidt

Brian Schmidt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I suppose that is how I got started repairing antique radios. An old tech gave me most of his workshop when I was only 12 or so. I know a guy who I have asked about a few photo things before who would be worth a shot, or maybe he knows somebody. Matter of fact I met him at a presentation he was holding about antique film cameras at the library. Of course a lot of old guys worry about what will happen to their prized equipment and would be thrilled to see that somebody would take care of it, and better yet, use and enjoy it..

I'll give him a call and see what comes of it. Worst that can happen is politely declining, or simply nothing at all.

Have a good day,
    Brian

9. OP
    OP
    Brian Schmidt

Brian Schmidt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Quick update...

I called the guy in town and he said he had a 4X5 that he hasn't used in years. He said he also had friends who probably have equipment. He mentioned how you can get them cheaply as relatively few people use them, which is a good sign. I plan on speaking with his son (who has them) Tuesday.

Seems like most times I ask a question on the web somebody says "check locally", then I do and everything turns out. Maybe I should take a lesson?:whistling:

Brian