Purple C-41 Negatives?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Sirius Glass, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Today for the first time I developed C-41 film and used my Jobo CPP 2 with the temperature stabilization. I used Unicolor C-41 Powder Kit, 1 liter from FreeStyle. I mixed carefully and watched the temperature and after two 2.0 minute washes the film came out dark purple. So I washed twelve times for one minute and the films are more orange and still purplish. I am waiting for the film to dry and see the final results.

Is this normal?

Steve

2. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have used both the Rollei kit and Kodak SM, and I have never seen that.

3. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is my understanding that with C41 whenever you re-wash you should start over at the bleach and work through the whole process from there.

4. OP
    OP
    Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

That is what I thought but the blix is dark purple and I think it makes it dark purple. Now that the negatives have dried some, they are more orange. I will watch for the answers here and rewash or blix and rewash after they have dried as advised.

Steve

5. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Steve

The film doesn't pick up the color of the bleach. There are actually several different color bleaches and I have not seen any color carry over, the film base ends up the same.

6. OP
    OP
    Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

The film has dried the the appropriate shade of orange. I was following Chris' advice that it is never too soon to panic.

thanks,
    Steve