Pentax 135 F2.5 or 3.5 SUPER TAKUMAR ?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Brad Bireley, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Brad Bireley

Brad Bireley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is the 135 F2.5 SUPER TAKUMAR that much better then the 135 F3.5 SUPER TAKUMAR or the 135 F3.5 SMC TAKUMAR ?

2. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Unless you need the speed once stopped down both a good performers, I have both but usually use the 3.5 as it is lighter.

3. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The f3.5 is wickedly sharp, dirt cheap, and uses the 49mm thread filters that are standard with most other Takumar lenses.

4. OP
    OP
    Brad Bireley

Brad Bireley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is this both versions, the super & smc ?

5. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used only the SMC Tak, but on slow film it looks pretty pretty.

Softbox + reflector. Camera on tripod, f8 or f11, Ektachrome E100G (should have used the GX instead, the subject looks a little pasty). Cheap scan from the minilab's Fuji Frontier. No PS post-processing.

Attached Files:

6. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The 3.5 both super and smc have 49mm filter threads, the 2.5 super is 6 elements in 6 groups the smc is 5 elements in 5 groups and has either a 55 or 58mm filter, I cant recall off the top of my head. Wide open the 2.5 is very sharp for the day, and the Dept of Feild is much better than a 180 2.0.

7. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know about all of these lenses, but I own the 135mm f/3.5 SMC and it is a killer lens.
    - Thomas

8. cao

cao Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't think this is quite right. As I recall, Pentax made two versions of the 135/2.5 SMC Tak. The earlier one did indeed that 5 elements, but later they switched to a six element design which some say is sharper. This is not a frequently used lens for me, so I'm merely a parrot. Somewhere out there, probably on PDML, is the serial number break where the change from five to six elements occured.

9. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I checked the Ashi Historical Group's web site, the 3.5 was only made in 5 lens in 4 elements, the 2.5 was made as 5 lens in 4 elements, and as 6 lens in 6 elements. My 3.5 is a late model super and the information that came with the lens says 5 lens in 4 elements. I was under the impression that the 135 3.5 super while multi coated but basically the same lens as late model SMC.