LPL7700 Carrier Inserts in UK

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by FrankB, May 4, 2005.

1. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm looking at stepping up to medium format (specifically a Mamiya C330 TLR). As part of this I would need to set up my LPL7700 for 6x6 negs. Whilst 80mm enlarger lenses seem plentiful on the secondhand market, getting the appropriate insert for the universal carrier is proving difficult. The only place I've found online that'll do them is Jessops who want £50 for a new one (I'm unsure whether this is for a 6x6 insert or a 6x6 carrier, but it seems steep either way!).

Does anyone know where in the UK I could lay my hands on a 6x6 carrier insert (or carrier) for an LPL7700?

Failing that, does anyone has a contact email address or website for LPL?

Failing that(!), do you think it would be practical to cut an insert out of mountboard (I have a Longridge cutter) and spray it black (last resort time here!)?

Thanks in advance,

Frank

2. geraldatwork

geraldatwork Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I have the LPL D6700 which I think is similar. The person who I bought it from (ebay) had handmade a 6X7 carrier out of mat board and foam board and seems to fit well although I never used it. That said I also needed a carrier for 6X6 negatives and I found a LPL glass carrier on ebay with the adjustable edges like an easel which fits all size negatives. The price was around $25 (US)

3. OP
    OP
    FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Gerald,

The adjustable carrier sounds like the one I have, and I do have glass for it. However, it isn't anti-Newton glass and, before I got my glassless 35mm inserts (Jessops, many moons ago, and much cheaper!), I had really bad problems with Newton's rings. I really would prefer a glassless solution if I can get hold of one (less dust and (allegedly) anti-Newton glass can soften the image).

I have had an eye on ebay for a while, but I could be waiting a lot longer before such an item comes up.

Many thanks for the input, though.

Best regards,

Frank

4. AllanD

AllanD Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have made 6x4.5 masks for the "universal" carrier using plastic sheet bought from a model shop. I cut and filed the holes and used a black card slide mask glued to the plastic to ensure clean edges to the mask. Bevelling the outside edge of the plastic mask allows the metal sliders to grip the mask.

5. voceumana

voceumana Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As far as I know, the only inserts for the LPL 6x7 enlargers (various models and model names) were for 35mm, 126, 110, 4x4 (for 127 film), half-frame 35mm, and maybe Minox. I don't know of any 6x6 or 6x4.5 inserts for the universal carrier. If you are OK to use glass, just use the masking blades to cut down the optical window.

There are 6x6, 6x7, 6x4.5 glassless negative carriers for these enlargers, too. They should be available new, though probably pricey. See: http://www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk/lpl/b99

6. NJH

NJH Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The other best selection in the UK apart from firstcall seems to be available from Imaging Warehouse Frank:
    https://www.theimagingwarehouse.com/ProductGrp/LPL-Spare-Parts

I have bought a replacement AN glass from them and the 35mm insert recently both for use in the universal carrier that comes with the 7700. AN glass on the top, normal glass on the bottom for MF, or 35mm insert in place of the glass for 35mm.

I believe the above poster is correct, I spent some time looking for a 6x45 insert for the universal carrier but couldn't find one just the complete glassless carriers.

7. voceumana

voceumana Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think the edges on an insert for 120/220 film would be too thin to have any structural strength. The glass is about 64 mm and the image is often about 56 mm for 120/220 film. That give only 4mm for each edge, which is not very much. The edge might bend if they made an insert for that size.

Though I don't know if they ship internationally, in the USA, this company makes and sells anti-Newton Ring glass at a more reasonable price than the LPL glass: https://secure31.webhostinghub.com/~fpoint5/store/agora.cgi

I haven't bought that AN glass, but intend to do so--the size matches the measurements of the glass I have for the carrier (at least within a fraction of a mm).