Looking for a Toyota Truck

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Want to Buy' started by Gustavo_Castilla, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Gustavo_Castilla

Gustavo_Castilla Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi I know this may be not the best place to look for such things but hey what the heck !
    I am looking for a Toyota Truck in good driving condition to use as a wetplate darkroom and camping with the 22R engine 4 cylinder 4X4 will be best a 4runner even better !!!!
    manual transmission works for me!
    I will travel to pick it up !
    small budget !! I can also trade prints as part of a deal !
    email me at Gustavo@Ironworkx.net !​

2. thebanana

thebanana Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Gustavo,
    I've owned a Toyota 4 Runner, and I really can't see being able to use it for darkroom purposes. Unless you're a contortionist :wink:

It was also a POS, but maybe i just got lucky.

tb

3. Craig Swensson

Craig Swensson Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  4. Philippe-Georges

Philippe-Georges Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What’s the difference between a 4x4 and a 4 Runner?

Philippe

5. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A 4x4 is any vehicle with four wheel drive(used to be 4 speed gear box with 4 wheel drive) a 4Runner is a specific Toyota model SUV.

Rick

6. rodneyAB

rodneyAB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm holding onto my '98 Tacoma4x4 4 cylinder. although not set up for wet-plate work, the idea is there for a camp-shell with side lift "windows", fitted with movable interior shelving and fabric tent. I think an ideal vehicle for wet-plate darkroom, good luck!

7. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Wouldn't a small motor home work better for that? Toyota used to make one looked like a mini winnibago. They had sinks and counter space. Another thought would be a small tow behind, set up like a concession stand inside. You could pull it with the 4x4, then park it to go wheelin'.

Rick

8. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    One doesn't need a lot of room for wet plate and the "darkroom" has a bit of a different setup than a typical wet process darkroom. Many work out of the back of the vehicle in a tent or similar.

9. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm surprised no one brought this up already? Is it mandatory that you get a Toyota??... I'd be worried it would take off uncontrollably as the gas pedal opened up the throttle while developing a plate in the dark!! Sorry I could not resist.

10. photobizzz

photobizzz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a 2009 Tacoma with the small rear seat and suicide doors and if you put a tall topper on it you would still have to lay down to do anything I am sure. You would be better off getting something else as your darkroom, but a you cant really go wrong with a Toyota as your vehicle. I live in Alaska and even with regular Dunlop highway tires I never get stuck, just turn the knob and put it in 4 wheel high. I even drive on the highway at 60 MPH in 4 wheel high when the roads havent been plowed very well.

11. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
  12. eli griggs

eli griggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You might see about buying a small hauling trailer like U-Haul uses, these are often available for cheap. A tall stool will allow you a comfortable work area and there is plenty of room for gear. You could even sleep in it as needed on road-trips, I've seen them used for this a number of times.

Eli

13. mark

mark Member

GO for a 79 or 80 4WD if you can get them. Easy as hell to repair, can't be killed. I had one all the way through college and beyond.

Fond memories in that truck.

14. Gustavo,

You can get one with the standard automatic, without warning, acceleration package for real cheap these days. :wink:

Steve

15. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    chuckle, chuckle-snort-chuckle---snort--guffaw

Rick

16. nickrapak

nickrapak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Toyota--Once you get one, you can't stop!

17. cornelius

cornelius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Gustavo,

I own a '91 Landcruiser with 250k+ miles on it and it's the most reliable vehicle I have owned, contrary to what some people have remarked. I purchased it after I had a little Toyota pickup (with the infamous 22RE, the year before it was branded Tacoma) and that truck was bomb-proof. I got that little truck from my sister who actually drove it a whole year with no oil registering at all on the dipstick, and it did not affect it all whatsoever.
    Back to the Landcruiser; I can tell you that MINE can go literally anywhere, and not get stuck, and I do just that with it... though it does also have a 3" Old Man Emu lift kit and lockers. This truck is more than large enough for any venture you could pursue with it, and in fact I remove the 2nd, and 3rd row seating and have a plywood flatbed I created which perfectly fits a full sized air mattress, and a gear stow space underneath. Two caveats with this setup though: 1. It will not be as cheap as the little Toyota, though Ive seen some that can be had in a similar year, in the 3-5k price range. 2. It is a gas hog. It has a standard inline 6, but this engine is huge, and because of the full time 4WD, it is not fuel friendly. Hwy mileage is actually not the worst (10-15MPG I would guess), but if you spend the day driving around a city, you can literally watch your fuel gauge meter descend.

Other than those 2 caveats, I highly recommend it. I've had to put in a new radiator since I've personally owned it (going on 6 years). That was a replacement to the original. The best part about this truck is I just get in, turn the key and go.

Good luck,
    Cornelius

18. largeformat pat

largeformat pat Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    The old 4 runner had a 2.8 L diesel here. The saying went. " ALWAYS LATE IN A 2.8"
    Pat