List of Color Chemicals and Where To Get Them

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Greg Davis, Jul 25, 2011.

1. shoe

shoe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Canadians are better off buying chems from the UK and shipping by air. Believe it or not it is cheaper , faster , and less headaches that buying from the US.

2. bvy

bvy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I should qualify this. I'm stuck on a cruise ship and long messages are hard on my phone. I use the developer one or two shot then discard it. Reuse the bleach indefinitely. Filter and aerate it occasionally. Adding a stop bath and rinse between developer and bleach will help maintain it. With fixer, thoroughly rinse between bleach and fixer step. Do a clearing test occasionally. The fixer will exhaust eventually. Bleach, though, will likely become ineffective from gradual dilution before it exhausts. Replenish or replace when that happens.

3. Kuby

Kuby Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This is interesting to hear. Can you supply some links? Keeping in mind I am looking to purchase the Kodak Flexicolor 5L chems.

4. Kuby

Kuby Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    No problem. I appreciate the clarification. Is there stop bath specific to c41 that you recommend? Otherwise it looks like I'm good to put in an order at UniquePhoto.

5. bvy

bvy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use distilled white table vinegar, 1+4 with water.

6. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I believe that PE has posted that acetic acid based stop baths (such as Kodak Indicator Stop and distilled white vinegar diluted) are fine, but citric acid based stop baths (like Ilfostop) are not.

7. Kuby

Kuby Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you both :smile:

8. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    you don't really need a stop, it is not called for in the Kodak manuals.

9. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodak has made the C41 bleach III more acidic to help the problem, and so with this bleach, no stop is probably needed. It is green in color. The red bleaches and blixes are nearly neutral and therefore a stop may be needed.

PE

10. Kuby

Kuby Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks PE

11. Tjw

Tjw Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Hey guys, giving BVY's chem list a try. As it's been pointed out, the SM stabilizer is no longer for sale at that website and is hard to find. I've been told THIS is a direct substitute but the Kodak manual says I must also purchase Stabilizer III to mix with it. Do I need Stabilizer III or is included inside the Final Rinse and Replenisher bottle?

-Ty

12. bvy

bvy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Modern color negative films don't require a true stabilizer. Final Rinse is all you need.

13. Tjw

Tjw Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I didn't know that. Thanks for the help!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    PE hasn't Bleach III been the standard C41 bleach for a while now? I seem to remember it has been for at least the last 5-10 years? I have a huge batch of it I bought (the BIG container) but it lasts so long I haven't used it yet. It definitely smells/seems acidic, the regenerator seems that way too (which is also greenish)

-Ed

16. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bleach III is indeed the recommended bleach for C41 products, but older bleaches can be used.

A final rinse is needed for C41 but a Stabilizer is also sold. The issue is now confusing because of no clear instructions by Kodak or Fuji. They seem to say that a final rinse is all that is needed.

PE