Foma papers in MACO LP

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by dida, Nov 15, 2007.

1. dida

dida Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi all, maybe someone will be interested, just for information. I made three lith prints in MACO LP of the same 35mm negative (Kodak Tri-X) on three Foma papers. From left to right - Fomabrom (Fixed grade - normal), Fomatone MG classics, Foma Variant III. I like the result with Variant paper, the special violet hue is interesting. I don't like this paper for classical BW printing too much, but liths well. Dilution was 1+1+18.

I obtained on Variant some uneven development, mid part was complete black, overdeveloped, still don't know why.

Attached Files:

2. Rich Ullsmith

Rich Ullsmith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That Fomabrom doesn't look like it lithed; reminds me of attemps to lith Oriental VC, the newer stuff. Thanks for the tip on the Variant. The MG Classic liths so well that I never thought to try any of their other papers.

3. OP
    OP
    dida

dida Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I forgot to mention, it is cropped enlargement (1/4 approx) of print. I posted whole Fomatone print in gallery.
    I think fomabrom liths, there is infectious development, but there is not any change in color, the print is just very gritty.

4. Rich Ullsmith

Rich Ullsmith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dida, try this: place one drop of Maco solution B on a little strip of Fomabrom. With the lights on. See if there is a color change within the minute. Color change indicates there are developers incorporated, and the paper won't lith. Try it on a little swatch of the other two papers to compare. I pick up a lot of old papers from here and there, and it's a quick test to see what has potential and what doesn't.

5. OP
    OP
    dida

dida Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks Rich, I will try and let you know.

6. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've lithed Fomabrom in Maco LP at a 1:19 dilution and I got some very rich reddish browns, nothing like what your Fomabrom lith shows.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, how much developer did you mix up?

7. OP
    OP
    dida

dida Member

Shooter:
    35mm

About 1litre.

8. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    From my personal experience, I've found that mixing that little amount of lith developer gives me very gritty prints and the developer gets depleted fairly quickly.

I generally mix approximately 4.5 liters of developer which includes 25% Old Brown (so about 120 ounces of fresh developer and 30 ounces of Old Brown). Seems to work for me. Try mixing a greater volume to see if that helps.

9. OP
    OP
    dida

dida Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It make sense. I mixed two times only 1 liter and the window for lith is short. Howerver its influence on grain and color I will test. I also added old brown, but only small amount, 50ml per 1000ml of mixed new. I am just starting, so I am learning. Thanks for advice.

10. OP
    OP
    dida

dida Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, I tried as you suggested, small drop of part B on light. It is late evening, so it is tungsten light. I made digital photo of result after approx. 5 minutes. There was no more change in color, only in smell around :smile:. So fomabrom doesn't interact .... I don't understand yet what is principle, but I can see results.
    All papers FB: foma, foma, foma, ilford.

Attached Files: