Film grain

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Chris Lee, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Chris Lee

Chris Lee Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am trying to make a series of pictures with very prominent grain.I,m sure I have read a similar post here before, but I'll be dammed if I can find it now!
    So if you could indulge be again!

So far the best results I have achieved have been using TMAX 3200 (35mm)developed in Ilford Multigrade paper dev mixed 1-20 for 9 mins. I was pleasantly suprised by the results! Large but very sharp grain, which looked fantastic in a 10x8 print.

However I am sure there is a whole bunch of you out there that have a load more suggestions!

2. veriwide

veriwide Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Develop in Rodinal 1:200 for a two hours, and you'll have all the grain you can shake a monopod at.

3. Les McLean

Les McLean Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    TriX rated at 1600 ISO stand developed for 5 or 6 hours in ID11 or D76 diluted 1 to 40. You'll get very sharp grain.

Ilford 3200 rated at 6400 developed in Rodinal 1 to 50 for 14 minutes.

4. gma

gma Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am glad to hear that someone using this site wants to accentuate grain for artistic purposes. I recommend Tri-X rated 800 or 1200 and developed in Dektol diluted as for paper development. You will need to experiment with times. Also a temperature range of 75-80 degrees F will help enlarge grain to some extent. Back in the '60s grain was trendy, but now that most people are accustomed to the T grain emulsions, they work hard to avoid any appearance of grain. If film did not have any grain you would not have a picture at all. I say you should embrace the technology you prefer and make the best artistic use of whichever type film you prefer. Amen!

gma

5. OP
    OP
    Chris Lee

Chris Lee Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK Guys, I read veriwide's reply and thought he was taking the p**s, but now I have read Les's reply I am not so sure! But considering its past April 1ST I am willing the believe you.

Surely having the film in the dev for that amount of time makes the emulsion very soft? Isn't there a good chance of washing some if not all of it away?

GMA, as far as I am concerned grain is an inherent part of the materials we us, why not promote it?

Does anyone know a way to simulate digital noise with film?

only kidding!

6. gma

gma Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another thought. You can produce reticulation (a crackled emulsion) by using a hot developer ( 100 degrees F ) then dousing in a cold water bath before fixing. You will need to experiment with this tactic also. As I recall Tri-X can tolerate some real abuse without coming off the base. Some films will slide right off the base if you try this.

gma

7. bmac

bmac Member

My idea of prominent grain is Tri-X in Rodinal 1+25. Sharp defined grain, but not the blotchy grain on Tmax 3200.

8. gma

gma Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A correction on the reticulation process. All in total darkness of course. According to a Kodak manual: For Plus-X or Tri-X Use normal development time and temp in D 76, Acid stop bath at 140-150 degrees F for 1 min, Wash in cold water below 40 degrees F for 1 min. to crackle the emulsion. Then fix and wash normally. To emphasize the effect even more after the stop bath and cold dip immerse into 180-190 degree F water then into cold again before the fixer.

gma

9. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Also underdeveloping and printing at a higher contrast - ideally with point source or condenser enlarger - will make the grain "grittier".

The only time I've had visible grain on a contact print was when I developed in monobath process. Something about the thiosulfate dissolving and replating the grains, perhaps? But it's a chancy procedure that takes a lot of experimentation to find the optimum composition for each film / purpose.

10. Francisco_Duarte

Francisco_Duarte Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    HP5+ in Rodinal 1+50 /20º for 17 min gived me nice grain. Fast visual identification of grain but not excessively prominent, IMO.