Rolleiflex SL66 User Group Discussions

Might be the oldest question of all - HFT or not?

1. Slixtiesix
    Group Owner
    Hi friends,

what is your opinion on the HFT lenses vs the older ones? Which do you use and why? I have 3 lenses so far: 120/5,6 S-Planar (non-HFT), Planar 80/2,8 (HFT) and Sonnar 250/5,6 (HFT). I made the experience that, though I like it best of the bunch, the S-Planar flared terribly when I shot it against sunlight (but I have to admit that I hadn´t used a shade then), whereas I barely saw a difference, if at all, when I compared color-slides I had shot with both the HFT-Planar and the S-Planar at sunset time, with the sun beeing already beneath the horizon. I will do a more "scientific" comparison for myself when I got the time and the sun is more intense, but however, what are your experiences?

Best regards and a happy new year,
    Benjamin
    Slixtiesix Jan 6, 2010
  2. robertjonesphoto
    You know, that's an excellent question, one I had not considered. My experience has been equal, through hundreds of rolls of film. However, that's because when using either lens, I always use a lens hood when approaching anything near indirect sunlight around the edges, and when shooting towards the sun (usually low on the horizon) I usually stack a red and an orange filter shooting b/w, so that mitigates it anyhow. That's my 2p.
    robertjonesphoto Jan 30, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.